Monday 13 May 2013

Brief 1: Portfolio // Design Development

Format; I want to keep a form of consistency between the three publications so I used the same set of rules for the type layout as I did for the 'Pure Imagination' publication. 

Bellas initial idea for the design was the she wanted to have the images centralised and have a fair amount of white boarder surrounind it (like in the On Comley magazine). However I thought that the design would look better if the photographs alternated in size, placement etc. The new rule is that the photograph has to touch one side of the page that it is on, no less, no more.



This project is a three way collaboration and Because Caiti has a selection on her fashion designs, Bella said that she wanted to include a spread featuring my design work which I am a little bit hesitant about because this publication is about her work and her concepts. I will see how the pagination turns out and if I can negotiate some other way of including my name in the publication rather than having a whole spread! Anyhow, the spread above it the proposed photograph I was going to use for my page, and I would overlay a white logo, just like I did on the business cards. The right hand page would be a short pice of information about my work and maybe another piece of design relating to this brief with Bella.


Rule; Each new section that is over two spreads long has to have a landscape cover image. I felt that this was the strongest landscape image out of the shoot and a good introductory photograph to the new section. At the moment the names of each section are just ideas and have not been finalised...I thought of 'Into the fields' a play on the film 'into the wild' which closely connects to both Bella's and Caiti's project concepts.


One of the rules at the moment is that one of the images on the spread has to be larger than the other, this is so the eye is directed to the stronger image. This is just a preliminary layout which needs to be changed because the left photograph is touching two sides of the page. 


This is an incredibly powerful image and contrasts well with the cover of the previous section and the white of the page. There are going to be more pages in this section but I still need to select the images.

New Section; Range of Bella's

When Bella and I first discussed this publication, she originally just wanted three projects that focus on Caiti's collection. I suggested that because she was going to be using this as her portfolio for interview and part of her Final Major Project, that she includes some of her other photography from this year.


I went through the very large collection of images which Bella has take this year, and had a look at some of her best images from her blog and started trying to place them on the spread. This spread would be at the front of the book, before the other projects, and have a paragraph about Bella and her work to contextualise this publications.


As you can see there was a lot of trial and error, moving, deleting and enlarging for this spread. I wanted to show as many images on this spread as possible but the main issue was that the variation in colour and subject of the images was making the spread far too busy.


I adopted the text format from the "Pure Imagination" publication, Helvetica Neue but had it in 9pt with 14 ledding, and kept the grey page numbers as I think this format works very well. 



New Spread:

Many of the new images that I selected from Bella's third year work are just single images rather than two or three, so for situations like this I am just adopting the cover page rule and that all landscape images should be spread over 2/3rd of the entire spread, leaving enough space to write a blurb about the project / photograph.



Content Page:

The image on this page is one of Bella's favourites so I felt it was appropriate to use it on the first spread in the publication. It also meant that one of the photographs that I was trying to fit on the page about Bella's work, can be removed from that page and making it less cluttered. 



This is one of my favourite images from Bella's third year collection because of the huge contrasts in colour of the clothes and the background so I thought it was an ideal image to use for the page about Bella. After a lot of trouble with the images previously on this spread, I decided to make a new rule that would help me keep the layout simpler...only two images per spread.

Caiti's Collection.

This is the first of the projects which Bella collaborated on where she photographed the third year Fashion designers collection in a rural, overgrown area.



Section Two:

I changed the name to because I thought that the previous one was too long and it was catching too much attention the focus was been drawn away from the photograph.


New Wilderness Spread;

I have enlarged the right hand image, it is still smaller than the left image but the balance of the impact is more equal now, I think this is a really strong spread.


Section 3:

I named this section 'constraint', a reflection of the shoot concept which was a demonstration of the limitations of contemporary urban cities.


These are the two photographs which I chose from the shoot that are the strongest. I originally didn't want to use the right hand image because the green light has caught Helena's eye and makes it look green. However when I placed it on the spread it complimented the left image very well.


The next few spreads feature a range of photographs I selected that Bella took in her final year on her course which demonstrate her interest in fashion and portrait photography.


This spread below I was hesitant about including as I didn't think the images were as strong as some of the other work, but Bella mentioned that this was a documentary shoot and the point of these images was that they are meant to be informal and untouched. In the end I thought it was best to include them as it demonstrates another area of photography that Bella is interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment