Tuesday 28 May 2013

Brief 3: More logo development for Marina's Pies.

Although the logo has made some development in the right direction, I now don't think the typeface is very appropriate. I want to use a serif typeface but one that is less horizontally compressed and stylized because at the moment the logo looks crowded and isn't readably from a distance. Also the pie icon in the picture at the moment is very bold in comparison to the rest of the logo and draws the eye away from the text.


I went back to the first logo I designed and tried to incorporate this new typface and format of text into the original logo. I like the way I have deisgned 'Marina's' because it give the logo character and has more feminine connotations of cooking rather than the heavy, male dominated associations with pies. I wanted to be able to incorporate the three stages of development into the logo; the 'Marina' part, the serif typeface, and a vector of a pie. 


Here I went back to step two and placed it in a pie but still didn't think it work because although I want the word 'pie' to be emphasied, I want the word 'Marina' to be the main focus of the logo, the brand is about her and her pie making skills so the logo needs to visually demonstrate this through the hierarchy of text. 




I then proceeded to making Marina's name the main focus of the logo and placing it into a shape. I found that if I extended the brand name from 'Marina's Pies', to 'Marina's Homemade Pies', I had more room to work with and the first logo sat very well within the pie. I had a look at what the logo would then look like if I placed it in other geometric shapes, just to check that the pie was the most appropriate icon to be using. 



I tested out other ways of how I could incorporate the pie icon in the logo if I wasn't placing the whole logo in a pie. I don't think this worked particularly well because I had to increase the height of the pie to be fit equally in the space between the P and E and consequently now looks more like a cup cake than a pie. Although this shape could work and looks like a seal / stamp of approval, I think by removing the pie, the logo loses meaning and context and now looks too general and basic. 

I decided that I would be able to a serif typeface for 'homemade pies' as it contrasts well with 'Marina's. After a few experiments I have made the decision that the pie icon definitely give the brand the strongest identity and context, the other shapes and circles dilute the focus of the brand and make it less unique and pie focused. 



At this point I was contemplating being a bit bold and using a very contemporary, sans serif typeface; Bebas Neue. Initially it was just a random thought to see how it looked but I found that after setting the tracking very high that Bebas Neue could work and I was now slightly torn between a serif and a sans serif font. I knew that using a serif font would be much more appropriate but I questioned weather using a sans serif, more stylised typeface could give the brand an extra edge. 


I asked a few people for some feedback on what they thought about each of the logos, the majority of them chose the sans serif typeface. Although I agreed with them I wanted to find a typeface that I felt happy with, which lead to me to using Optimus Princeps. The logo is above is the final design for the brand, and will be a main focus in the design of the packaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment