Tuesday 28 May 2013

Brief 3: Colour and Packaging development

The focus of this packaging brief was on the choice of stock and how the colour, texture and gsm could affect the quality of a range of packaging. Marina's pies are homemade, natural, friendly so I started off by using natural, warm colours using a swatch I created from another pie project on Behance that inspired me. 

Source: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Pie-Vinyl/6363817


I adopted a couple of these colours I took from the Pie and Vinyl designs to see what they would look like on Marina's logo. A challenge for me in this brief is not to focus too much on using colour to identify text and object with, so at I am keeping the colours very earthy and neutral. 

I went back to test what the pie would look like in the geometric shape, I was interested to see if it worked better with the shape, looking like a seal of an award and giving the pies more credablility. 

This definately didn't work and it is start to look more like less and less interesting, also by placing it in a circle it became rather difficult to incorporate the pie as well. 


After testing a few more shapes I went back to my original logo, I like to check that I am happy with the logo and to do this I always go back and apply previous logo designs and compare the difference, it is a bit like a process of elimination that helps me move forward with a design. 

I have decided that for the pie packaging, I am going to have different labels / bands going around the boxes with the logo and flavour on it. The main packaging box will stay the same over the large pie range, and the only thing that will change is the colour of the label. I feel that this will make the packaging look smart and sophisticated, not printing over too much of the stock and instead focusing on smaller ways to differentiate between each packaging design.  


I thought about having a luminous pink colour, juxtaposing the pie making with a very feminine colour but then decided it was not very appropriate and made the pie brand look more fake than natural. For a bit of inspiration I started looking over other projects by Ziggurat Brands and the colour schemes they used. This was the design studio who branded and packaged 'Higgity Pies', the basis and inspiration behind this brief. 


Source: http://www.zigguratbrands.com/

 Both of these packaging designs use a rich brown contrasted with a lighter, brighter colour. At the moment I am planning on using a light brown paper stock that will be mounted on card to achieve the high gsm so I have started off with using a couple of these colours as inspiration.


I have divided the pie business into three sections, and will be designing a range of large and take away packaging for three flavours; vegetarian pie, ham and chicken pie and a very cherry pie. 




These are initial mock ups of how I planned the label to be placed on the pie packaging. I want to have the logo printed somewhere on the brown packaging as well as being on the label. 

BRAND STRAPLINE

This is something that I thought I was going to have a bit of trouble coming up with, but instead I came up with it fairly swiftly by just thinking simply about Marina and her pie business...simple...she is passionate about pies. When I first started with this brief, one of the names I was going to call the business was 'pie-passion' or pi-assion', a play on Marian's love for pies...so the strap line is straight to the point...Passionate about Pies. 

To attempt Marina's passion about pies, I felt it was appropriate to place it in the pie icon I am using for the logo. I tested out using the typeface for "Marina's" to see if it would make the strapline more personal but it didn't work very well because from a distance it wasn't readable. 


Green is for the vegetarian pie, Red / Orange for the ham and chicken pie, and then a rich pink / purple colour for the very cherry pie. 


I have decided to add another pie flavour, the sea food pie because this is another of marina's speacialities and the blue worked well with the other pies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment