Wednesday 8 May 2013

Brief 1: Pure Imagination // New photo spread Development

'Hot & Cold'

This photograph is similar to the 'Red Ridinghood' photograph in the sense that the left side of the image blends well into the white of the rest of the spread, making the image look cut out rather that cut off. This gave me more opportunity to play around with the placement of the text. 


To keep the spread from looking over crowded, if possible I like to keep a columns gap between the left side of the text and edge of the page. 



Initially I thought that the shape of the image would make the placement of the text easier, however I found that the more opportunity I had with the placement, the harder it was to decide. Placing the text at the bottom of the image didn't work because there wasn't enough white space either side of the text. I wanted to have the text follow the outline of the model - this didn't work. 


Placing the text at the top of the page seemed to balance out the spread - and although I feel the black of the text box takes some of the focus away from the image, the alignment is much better. 


'Snow White'


 I placed the text in line with the centre of the photograph to see if this would balance out the spread however it didn't look good, the text seemed to be hanging in the centre of the page and made looked completely unbalanced. 

The image that Bella sent over was in portrait, so it looks as though the model was not lying down, however I found that it worked better if I turned it to it was horizontal it worked better. The issue I now found was that because the face is quite large in comparison to the size of the image, I would have to crop a large amount out. 


The lines that Bella sent over for this poem were very short and in comparison to the the other poems, it wasn't very well balanced. So I went back to the poem and picked out a few extra lines that would work with the poem and the image.

I wanted to keep some of the shoulders in so the image was balanced and there the eyes could be central and the main focus. Because the image taking up a large amount of the spread it then reduced the space in which I could place the text (similar to the first image in this book).


'Red Riding Hood'

I had to go back to playing around with the text for this poem after the Hot and Cold spread so see if I could make it work better.

By placing the text at the bottom of the page, it fitted well with the shape / cut out of the image. Initially I thought this would look good, but it just made the photo unbalanced and the overall spread did not fit with the others in the book.


By placing it here, it looked more balanced and fitted in with fingers. My only worry here was that the text as a uni was pretty much completely centralised - something that doesn't look very professional. This is a spread I will have to go back to again.


No comments:

Post a Comment