Tuesday 28 May 2013

Brief 4: Packaging mock ups with the colour labels

I applied my initial design a basic box net and cut out a piece of the lid that you can see the pie through. The first pictures here are just testing out the size of the logo and colour strip in relation to the rest of the packaging, before printing on my chosen stock. 


I think the logo is much to large in relation to the rest of the box and the shape of the die cut section makes the lid of the box look more like an envelope than a pie packaging, although this may be because it is printed on white paper. I don't really like the horizontal spread of the gradient across strip so I'll go back and have a look to see if it works better when it is fades vertically over the label (from top to bottom). I do think the placement of the logo on the colour band works well although from a distance this orange and red colour contrasted with the black of the gradient reminds is starting to look more like a fast food restaurant logo which sells spicy food rather than a homemade ham and chicken pie.


I have proposed that the flavour is printed on a seperate label from the packaging and is also stuck on like the band. On screen this looked good but when it is printed out and mocked up the name isn't very clear and doesn't fit with the rest of the packaging, I think the whole design is starting to look a bit cheap, but ill see what that the difference is when these labels are applied to the brown packaging. 


I have placed the logo on most of the sides of the box for the reason that no matter what angle you see the packaging from you can see the branding. Initially I thought this was a good idea, but when it is printed out it looks too overcrowded and the logo and the packaging starts to loose it's quality.


BACK LABELS - information, nutrition and ingredients. The label isn't meant to be this big in comparison to the rest of the packaging, I wanted it to be a third of the size but I forgot to scale down this page when printing it.





NETS PRINTED ON BROWN STOCK

This is the stock that I have in mind to use for my final packaging designs. The texture and colour of it fits perfectly with both the brand concept and the packaging concept; visually represent the high quality of the packaging through the stock whilst retaining the homemade nature of the business.


I dont think the orange colour strip is working too well either packaging mock ups, doing the exact opposite of what I wanted, the strip is distracting the eye away from the packaging stock and logo rather than emphasising it. 


I have made all the logos much smaller but still kept the same number on the net to see if it was just the size that was leading to the overcrowded effect


This is the size I originally intended for the back label to be, it looks much better and is a good size; just big enough to read comfortably but not too big that it covers the stock. 



This gradient printed much darker and muddier than I hoped, I knew that it would be different from the colours on screen but when printed out the colour lost its impact and starts to look more like packaging for a pie filled with red meat than a sweet, very cherry pie. 



I think that the blue strip works best with the brown packaging, all the other labels are OK but not as smart as I wanted the packaging to look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment